Tuesday, April 30, 2013

AZ Tidbits

I swung by my local florist last week, the Camelback Flowershop, and saw something that made my heart flutter:


My initial thought was that I would take advantage of this the next time I host a dinner party on a weekend.  But, then again, why wait for a special occasion?  At 50% off, I want to treat myself every chance I can get.  La vida es corta. 

This lovely flower boutique delivers with over-the-top friendly service in a relaxed and hip environment.  It's fun to duck in here on a hot day to check out their succulents and fresh flower arrangements.








Camelback Flowershop
4227 E. Camelback Rd.
(602) 840-4646


 FnB

We met some foodie friends for dinner last night at the new location of Chef Charleen Badman's gastropub, FnB, at the southeast corner of Craftsman Court and 5th Avenue.  In sum, we had an outstanding meal.  The menu offers seasonal, locally-sourced ingredients that can be washed down with a selection of Arizona wines.  Yes, you heard me correctly, Arizona wines.  I kept an open mind, and it paid off.  We tried two of their wines on tap out of Cochise County, the Dos Cabezas rose and the Arizona Stronghold "Tazi" Blend.  They were perfectly enjoyable on the evening of April 28th, the first day of 2013 to hit 100 degrees.  It is estimated that wines by the glass account for 80% of wine sold in restaurants.  Some major benefits of keeping wines on tap, also known as keg wine, include the elimination of corking and bottle shock, as keg filling is a more gentle process than bottling.  In addition, offering wines on tap gives restaurants an environmentally friendly way of selling quality wines that do not put a hole in your wallet.

The appetizers we tried included the following: Spring Green Falafel with Lemon Tahini and Delfino Cilantro; Roasted Beets with Watermelon, Vadouvan and Pumpernickel Croutons; Braised Leeks with Mozzarella, Fried Egg and Mustard Bread Crumbs; and Lamb Manti with Yoghurt, Urfa Butter, Pinenuts and Cilantro.  My favorite dish was the roasted beets, but all the plates were winners.  Vadouvan was a new spice for me.  Apparently, it is all the rage now in gourmet cooking after having made its debut to North American audiences on Season 5 of "Top Chef".  Also known as French curry, or masala, vadouvan is believed to have originated in a French settlement in India.  It generally includes a combination of onions, shallots, garlic, cardamom and fresh curry leaves.

For the main course, I chose the fish of the day: Halibut with Cous Cous, Carrots, Fava Beans and Sauce Vierge.



Hubby tried the Grilled Half Chicken with Sherry Vinegar, Coriander, Basmati Rice and Cucumbers, a favorite I had read about on Yelp.  We were not disappointed.  The cucumbers were marinated escabeche-style and gave a nice vinegary zing to the dish.


Many reviews on Yelp mentioned that the veggie sides were worth the trip in and of themselves.  Most definitely.  In the foreground of the photo below is the Spicy Broccoli with Tangerine Aioli and Pistachios, a dish out of which I could have made an entire meal.  In the background is the Housemade Pasta of the Day with Asparagus, Snap Peas, Crispy Prosciutto, Morels and Pecorino Cheese.  Thank you, FnB...I am eager to return!


FnB
7125 East 5th Avenue #31
Scottsdale, AZ
(480) 284-4777

No comments:

Post a Comment