Friday, February 7, 2014

Reflections


I wrote this post on my iPhone from the top of Camelback Mountain today.  I had to get out of the house and clear my head.  I dropped everything I "had" to do, and laced up my trail runners.  In a very short period of time, I was scrambling over boulders with my heart beating out of my chest.  At the top, I was rewarded with the extraordinary beauty of the valley below and a certain sense of accomplishment.  As I sat at the top reflecting on the recent loss of another dear family member, I was reminded of why I started writing this blog almost a year ago today.  To let go of sadness and grief and to share what I find joyful in life.  I have to be honest, however, that it is not always easy.  Life is full of trials and tribulations, and just when I think I have the hang of it, I find myself knocked down.  The hard part is wiping off the dirt and getting back up.  To use an allegory, last week, I was riding a very large 17-hand Warmblood that spooked at something in the corner of the ring and sent me flying into the dirt (I literally had dirt in my eyelashes and between my teeth).  The instructor asked me to get back on and take one more jump.  I didn't hesitate, but as I was lifted back onto the saddle, a large part of my conscience was screaming at me to reconsider.  Nonetheless, I collected my horse, centered him towards the jump, and we went soaring beautifully over the jump.  It was more exhilarating because of the fall.  I write it down so I won't forget this lesson.  I am, as ever, thankful for the strength of my incredible family and of the everlasting support of my friends.  And I vow never, ever, to lose my sense of humor...ever.  
xoxo M

  

No comments:

Post a Comment